放牛郎的樂源

My Little Corner of the World

Sunday, January 20, 2008

跑步音樂

Are you a regular jogger?

With the intention of losing some calories after couch potatoing in front of my computer for hours this afternoon, I was out jogging with my ears plugged. When it comes to exercising, Franz Ferdinand-esque new wave pop rock or LCD soundsystem's Nike-commissioned "45:33" are undoubtedly the popular choices. However, I chose to start off with "A Coeur Leger Sommeil Sanglant" by the Canadian band Destroyalldreamers. I've never given much thought about the connection between jogging and Post-rock music before that exact moment, but as I was trying to reconcile the common ground between the two, they suddenly stood out as a natural pair, enhancing the experience of another to the full extent.

As I ran up the hill, the bomb blasting of "The Birth and Death of the Day" (from Explosions in the Sky's last album released in 2007) was ringing in my ears. I felt the world collapsing upon me, with the only exit at the farthest end where Sky and Earth meets. I breathed vehemently as my heart speeded up its pounding, sprinting hastily in a futile effort to beat the irreversible mass destruction at the final moment.

Often when I walk on the road, I spontaneously imagine myself smashed by a car, probably driven by some careless teenager who has never regarded driving seriously. Of course, I consciously avoid as much traffic as possible, just like what everyone else does. Is this some sort of delusional detachment from reality? I wonder what I would look like after the disastrous moment. Would I be smiling like some freaks I've watched in the movies? I have always admitted the masochistic side of me. Even though I face no immediate pressure in life, I occasionally would like to think of myself living a miserable life. After all, the possession of such feeling is what makes us human.

Next time when I go out I better listen to some other types of music, just to see what other imagery I will be able to conjure up in my psychopathic mind.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home